Metal Forming Institute was established in 1948 as a Non-chip Forming Plant of the Institute of Mechanics.
The creator of the Institute was Prof. Feliks Tychowski whose efforts contributed in 1952 to gaining independence by the entity and to raising it to the rank of an institute.
In 1959, in connection with restructuring of the R&D sector, the Institute lost its rank and became the Central Laboratory of Metal Forming.
The following two years was a period of developing R&D staff, first achievements in research works, elaborating novel technologies and taking up by the Institute publishing activities.
Good results enabled the re-acquisition of the rank and name of the Metal Forming Institute.
1970s is the period of strengthening the position of the Institute in Poland and adjusting its activities to industrial requirements. In 1975 the number of staff reached its highest level of 524 employees.
At the end of 1980s there was a dramatic collapse of Polish industry and therefore demand for Institute’s services decreased, which caused major staff number reduction.
In the face of transformation of the Polish economy into market economy, a restructuring process started in the Institute with the aim of raising the work productivity and adjusting the activity range to free-market needs.
1990s constituted a period of developing small and medium batch manufacture using previously elaborated technologies and intensifying the international cooperation in the range of research in form of bilateral, PHARE, INCO-COPERNICUS, EUREKA projects.
The 21st century has brought further strengthening of international cooperation exemplified by carrying out research projects within EUREKA Initiative as well as the 5th, 6th and 7th Framework Programmes. The Institute’s achievements in the range of technology development, licences, industry applications, domestic and international research projects have gained recognition which is confirmed by obtaining numerous prizes, distinctions and medals.
The ŁUKASIEWICZ Research Network – Metal Forming Institute (INOP) from 1.04.2019 is a part of the The Łukasiewicz Research Network.